Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Exile of Sara Stevenson by Darci Hannah

The Exile of Sara Stevenson By Darci Hannah
Age- YA/ 16+
pages- 386
Published by Ballantine Books
genre- historical fiction
learn about it here
Buy it here
Rating- 4 stars

Although born from money, in the household of the well known 18th century light house designer, Robert Stevenson. Sara Stevenson is not your typical well-born daughter. Her parents don't approve of her high spirited nature, her spunk, and they certainly don't approve when she falls in love with a simple sailor by the name of Thomas Crichton. Sara doesn't care though, shes head over heals in love, and when he offers to elope, she quickly agrees. On the day they were going to escape from their previous lives, and run away together, Thomas mysteriously disappears.

Sara is heart broken, and when she begins to realise she is pregnant, her family kicks her out, exiling her to the desolate Cape Wrath. There she has to live with a supper creepy light house keeper, William Campbell, and the woman who Sara once called her best friend. After weeks of refusing that Thomas has left her, Sara begins to accept her life on the Cape, and begins to realise that William's not that creepy and that her ex-friend Kate, may have just been trying to protect her after all when she told the Stevenson family of Sara's secret lover. And through the letters of a certain antiquarian Sara slowly learns of her lovers fate, and makes a love story that crosses centuries.

 It was actually quite good.


For those of you who don't yet know, Darci Hannah is my aunt, so I'm not sure if this review actually counts, being that it is incredibly biased, but I'll try my best to remain neutral.


for starters I liked the language. The Exile of Sara Stevenson takes place in Scotland in the year 1814, and although I don't usually read historical novels, I was willing to give it a try, and I'm glad I did. :) Since the book was originally meant for adult readers the words are larger, more SAT like. and since it takes place almost 200 years ago there is no slang. Which was a nice refreshing break from the books I usually like.
Also I loved Sara. You'd have to know my aunt, but Sara totally reminded me of her, in the things she said and the way she acted. I just found my self really liking her.


The ending was supper sad. I didn't cry, but both my grandparents did. (why is it that grandparents cry all the time?) And I get it. The ending was really sad, and in a way, happy. I guess you'll just have to read the book to find out.


Overall the book was nice, I really enjoyed it and hope you do to.


XO, Dana

Darci Hannah's second book The Archangel comes out summer 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! thanks for leaving a comment!
XO, Dana