Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Cardturner by Luis Sachar

The Cardturner Louis Sachar
Published by Delacorte Press
pages- 336
Genre- Realistic Fiction
learn about it here (shelfari) (goodreads)
buy it here
rating- 4 stars!!!!

Things are looking bleak for Alton Richards. His girlfriend dumped him for his best friend, he has no job, and no money, and when his parents want him to play bridge with his "favorite", rich great uncle Lester Trapp, Alton is flabbergasted. (yes, flabbergasted Alton is indeed.) He doesn't know how to play bridge! His parents insist that he wont actually have to play, just play the cards directed by his great uncle. (who is blind, and naturally, cannot see the cards.) Under great parental influence ("...and ask him about his will while your at it") Alton agrees to become Trapps card turner.
Alton is thrust into a new world of "bridge gibberish" and as he struggles to keep up and pay attention as he plays Trapp's cards, Alton can't help but learn how to play bridge himself. and it relay isn't that, bad. Actually bridge is kind of cool. And as Alton's summer goes on, and his uncle gets progressively sick, the race to nationals, is more stressful then ever, because winning nationals literally is Trapp's will to live. This exciting coming of age novel will capture you in its clutches, and never let go.

I cried.
Okay I didn't cry, but I came really close. But I did laugh, many many times. and smile also.
It was really really good. And for those of you who have read Holes, you know how good of an author Luis Sachar is.  And this book was quite good too. I loved how it was about bridge. Being a teenager, naturaly I know absolutely nothing about the game, and when I told my bridge playing grandparents that I had read it, and knew a little bit a bout it. However, do not think that reading this book will make you an excellent bridge player. Its a fictional book that has to do with bridge, and there for, you vaguely know what bridge is all about.

The characters were cute. I hated Cliff, and Alton's parents, but I'm pretty sure Sachar wanted me to hate them... I liked how Sachar added in that little touch of paranormal. It really made the book amazing.

So I know this review is pretty short, but there isn't much else to say, other than, go get the book. It's an amazing feel good book that makes you entertained, and at the same time makes you feel like you understand bridge, and gets you completely caught up in these characters world.

XO, Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! thanks for leaving a comment!
XO, Dana